10:10 AM

This industry has changed so much ...


Tom Simmons
President
American Institute of Floral Designers (AIFD)

If anyone told me 30 years ago that I would be President of an International Floral Association, I would have said “Are you crazy? I think you have been in the sun too long!” But now, I am the President of the American Institute of Floral Designers, with over 1300 members worldwide.

One reason that was so strange to me, I only worked in a retail flower shop as a hobby and to earn extra cash. Thirty years ago, I was an Industrial Engineer, who excelled in math. To relieve the pressure of that job, I looked for an outlet to “express myself”. My only floral experience up until then was as a part-time “transportation engineer” better known as a delivery driver during my early college days. After about 8 years in the Engineering field, I soon realized I needed a change. So I started to work in a local retail flower shop full time and the rest is history.

I immersed myself into this new career and did everything possible to attend local seminars and educational programs relating to the floral industry. I read everything I could find on the art of floral design, from text and research books to magazines published by the wire service companies. I was determined to excel in my new career and be successful at it. So in order to succeed, I researched further and discovered national programs showcasing talents from around the world who seemed to have it all.

I attended my first National Symposium in Washington, DC in 1983. I was in awe of the creativity and the knowledge so many were willing to share at this annual meeting. The commraderie between the Symposium presenters, committees, staff and attendees was remarkable. Everyone was acting as one big, happy family. At that point, I knew I wanted to belong to this wonderful group. So in 1984 I was inducted as a member of the American Institute of Floral Designers.

The American Institute of Floral Designers (AIFD) was established in 1965 by a small group of leading floral designers dedicated to recognizing and promoting the art of floral design as a professional career. Today, it is the floral industry’s leading non-profit organization committed to establishing and maintaining higher standards in professional design. AIFD and its members are in the forefront of the industry presenting educational and design programs.

After many years of Regional involvement of AIFD, I was asked to run for a National Board position as the representative from the South West Region. As a National Board member, you become an active participant for developing programs and policies that set the high standards in floral design with a primary focus of education for all floral designers. Another aspect of our organization which is important to me is our dedication to market our members to the consumers. Through many regional and national shows, we constantly showcase the talents of our membership.

I am thrilled beyond words to be part of this extraordinary organization. Becoming President has been one of the highlights of my life, one that I am very honored and humbled by. This industry has changed so much since those early days of me driving around in a delivery truck. I feel very fortunate to be part of some of those changes. One thing that hasn’t changed is the beauty of the product we work with and the friendship we all share.

0 comments: